Monday, June 18, 2007

Shutting down the nukes

I found two articles (here and here) discussing progress in negotiations to shut down nuclear reactors in North Korea since the frozen funds have been transferred. They are also receiving tens of thousands of pounds of oil from South Korea as part of the deal. Today we were talking a little more about Juche, and now that NK is about te receive such a hefty contribution from South Korea, in addition to beginning to eliminate its precious nuclear power, I wonder what effect this will have on the national psyche of "self-reliance."

3 comments:

Netalee said...

If I remember correctly, "Juche" made a point not to be self reliant on one particular source, meaning one particular country as well. I would think that the fact the aid is not coming from a "pathetic imperialist power" such as the United States may help maintaining the self reliant image. Furthermore, the dream to unify Korea still remains, therefore accepting aid from their brothers is acceptable and worthy as a positive step towards progress which is alligned with aspects of "Juche."

Eunmi said...

According to the class,when North Korea accept aids from outside,it has to be unconditional. If North Korea is asked something for the expense of the aids, it will decline the aids and will stop its diplomatic relations. In addition, I guess, North Korea assumes South Korea as a brother country but spoiled by the United States and consideres South Korea's helping reasonable responsibility.

Ally said...

I understand what Juche is, but I really get bothreed by this paradox.... They DO depend on foreign aid. If everyone suddenly stopped giving hlep to North Korea, they would no tbe able to support themselves. This is not self-reliance. I know I am arguing in circles, and that there is no answer, but this is the point that I keep getting stuck on.

I can see the validity in accepting help from South Korean brothers, but even so, this whole self-reliance thing is unfounded.