Thursday, June 28, 2007

Rankings of the Korean Language

I just wanted to post this in relation to Dr. Peterson's speech, he commented on the high ranking of the Korean language in usage and popularity. There is some variation, the World Almanac lists Korean at number 10 while geographic.org places it at 13. Overall I agreed with what Peterson had to say about the potential positive effect that South Korea can have on the world. It was a interesting to contrast with the vastly different realm that is North Korea.

the World Almanac - http://www.oclc.org/languagesets/educational/languages/languageranking.htm

Geographic.org -The 50 Most Widely Spoken Languages -
http://www.photius.com/rankings/languages2.html

2 comments:

Tom Fales said...

Korean is beating out France in this study. According to Peterson's lecture, the two are neck and neck, despite the latter being considered the "language of diplomacy." I don't think I've ever heard that before.

Tom Fales said...

There are something like eight variations of Chinese too. I wonder how much variation exists between them? I guess it must be significant for them to be classified as seperate languages...