Thursday, June 14, 2007

Limited Time Offer: View Spectaular Mass Games!

Since we are all on the topic of vacationing (investigating?) in North Korea, I thought it would be worthwhile to bring to your attention that there is a limited time offer to visit the DPRK and view the spectacular mass games for yourselves. Impossibility, you say? Not if you are one of the lucky few to be admitted into the hermit kingdom, and honored with the priviledge of not being able to use the bathroom without permission. I know what you're thinking, "This is too good to be true!". This website advertises the choreographed "human spectacle" that the website calls, "the greatest show on Earth" (sound familiar?). While the mass games may be just that, these pleasures cannot be enjoyed without a price.

I highly suggest that you all at least take a glimpse at the travel rules and tips...it really is a fascinating look into the one-step-forward, two-steps-back approach that North Korea is trying to take toward promoting tourism and a better world image.

2 comments:

Christina Sin said...

I'm really surprised that the prices aren't as expensive as I thought. Without a doubt $2000+ for just three days is expensive, but I was honestly thinking the price would have been in the $10,000s. But then again, the Martin book describes how a $100 is a huge amount of money in North Korea and would take 10 years to make. I don't know how I would feel about constantly being followed and if the lack of freedom is even worth going to North Korea for.

Jolan said...

I found a website that features an American's account of his visit to Arirang and the Mass Games. He's posted a lot of pictures which, though we've seen a good deal in class, haven't failed to amaze me. Today Professor Larsen mentioned Orwell in class, and this tourist minds the author as well: "If Orwell had put a stadium scene in 1984 this would have been it."

I think it's interesting that this American has been on an "Axis of Evil World Tour". (He even put out a book!) Funny. I noticed the BBC had constructed a traveling schedule somewhat similar -- I wonder just how many other people were inspired by George Bush's post 9-11 speech to travel likewise.

The link to the American's writing about his experience at the Mass Games:
http://1stopkorea.com/index.htm?nk-trip5.htm~mainframe