Thursday, November 04, 2004

Charles Jenkins

I've been keeping track of the Charles Jenkins case and he was sentenced I believe yesterday. He defected to North Korea in 1965 and stayed there until early this year. While he was in North Korea he taught students English and took part in propaganda announcements. He pleaded guilty to defecting in his trial. What suprised me about this case is that Jenkins was only sentenced to thirty days in prison. Apparantly plea bargained with U.S. Military Officers. I was expecting a sentence that was much more harsh. According to cnn.com: "I walked away from my squad ... for the purpose of going to North Korea," Jenkins told the court in a soft voice, adding that he had planned to desert for 10 days and had tied a white T-shirt to his rifle to signal his surrender, The Associated Press reported.

You can find the article here: http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/11/02/korea.jenkins/index.html

No comments: