Wednesday, May 23, 2007

In the Loving Care of our Fatherly Leader

I have just gotten through the first 70 pages of our assigned book and does anyone else think that Kim Il-song is a genius. I really can't get over the fact that he came up with the concept to essentially adopt all of the orphans from the Korean War in order to truly create his "family" cult. I mean its a million people essentially brain-washed to do the government's (his) bidding. Also, the idea of having day care centers take children in after 7 weeks with their mother. I mean other dictatorships have had political re-education, but I really haven't ever heard of it done to this scale dedicated to one man. Just wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

Just a side note, although I think he was a genius he still scares the living daylights out of me as a human being.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand what you mean, I mean if you start to read the other written works by North Koreans, especially on the Juche ideology by Kim Il-Song you might be surprised how organized the whole argument is to back its rather radical stance on things. We all laughed at it first but I was really surprised to find myself starting to understand them – after I saw the interviews of the girls from the North Korean “cheerleading group” (pleasure group, Gippeumjo) a couple of years ago, during the Asian games held in South Korea; my impression was that, I don’t want a reunification even, or at least not until I die. It is just scary how they talked about Kim Il-Sung/Jung-Il and the term “brainwashing” couldn’t even close explaining their utmost devotion to him. I guess we certainly have to give credit to Kim Il-Sung for all the things that he had ‘established’ for bad and worst, like you said he was a “genius” in his terms.

Ally said...

I can't get over this either!! Taking children (in their most formative years) and literally molding them to adore and worship Kim Il-Sung is genius (in a sadistic way). It's like they will see no fault in him. They give thanks to him before meals, his picture is around every corner, and the voluntary wearing of the pins... it all makes me want to go to North Korea and really see if it's true.